Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
January 29, 2013
Western Michigan Broncos (12-7, 4-2) at Miami Redhawks (7-11, 2-4)
Location: Oxford, OH
Venue: Millett Hall
Wednesday, January 30 at 7:00 p.m.
All-time series record: Miami leads 81-40
Radio: Bronco Radio Network
Announcer: Robin Hook
Stations: WKZO - 96.5 FM: (Flagship) Kalamazoo, Portage, Mattawan; WMAX - 96.1 FM: Grand Rapids, Holland, Muskegon; WVIC - 94.1 FM: Lansing, Jackson, Battle Creek
Pre-game: Begins at 6:30 p.m.
John Cooper's record at Miami: 7-11 (1st season)
Steve Hawkins' record at Western Michigan: 171-139 (10th season)
- The Broncos trail the all-time series in Oxford, where they are 6-51.
- The Broncos have never won two straight games in Oxford (WMU won the last meeting there, in 2011).
- The Broncos are 4-5 against Miami under head coach Steve Hawkins, including wins in each of the last two seasons.
- Hawkins is the first Bronco coach to win back-to-back games against the Redhawks since Vernon Payne beat them three straight times
from Feb. 13, 1988 - Feb. 4, 1989.
- The Broncos received 14 votes in the January 28 CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll.
- The Broncos have won four straight MAC games for the first time since winning four straight from Feb. 23 - March 5, 2011.
- WMU is looking for its first five-game MAC winning streak since winning five straight from Jan. 21 - Feb. 1, 2006.
- Shayne Whittington scored 20 or more points for the third time this season against Central Michigan, and has reached double figures in scoring in eight of his last 10 games.
- Brandon Pokley is 10-of-19 (.526) from three-point range in MAC play.
- The Broncos remain one of the stingiest defensive teams in the MAC as well as the country, ranking 3rd in the conference and 48th nationally in field goal percentage defense (.394).
- WMU is ranked first in the MAC and 18th in the nation in rebounding margin (+7.8).
- Nate Hutcheson started his 104th game for the Broncos on Saturday, tying Booker James for fifth on the all-time list. Hutcheson needs just 47 points to reach 1,000 points for his career.
- David Brown is averaging 9.5 points per game coming off the bench this season.
Brian Persky: I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about a potential 'let-down' game here for the Broncos, coming off a huge win in Mount Pleasant this past Saturday. I think this game is closer than most people expect it to be, but Western Michigan eventually wins a tight one because the Broncos are the better team defensively. Oxford has haunted WMU in the past, but I can't see them losing this game simply due to that fact.
Score Prediction: Western Michigan 67, Miami 63
David James: WMU is rolling right now, or on a "heater" as coach David Kool would put it, and they've shown they can win on the road as well as at home. Miami hasn't shown much this year to indicate they're much stronger than the Central Michigan team the Broncos just coasted by, and their home court advantage didn't exactly hold up against Ball State in a 20 point loss on Saturday. WMU gets off to a slow start, but bounces back to win comfortably.
Score Prediction: Western Michigan 70, Miami 59
D.J. Duckett: The Broncos are hot as of late and i think they will continue that trend down in Oxford. Shayne Whittington is really beginning to emerge as a force in the low post both offensively and defensively. The best thing the Broncos have going for them is the fact that they can get scoring from all kinds of places, they really have developed into a well balanced and deep team. I think Miami's losing streak continues, making that four in a row. WMU wins easily.
Score Prediction: Western Michigan 72, Miami 60
Brandon Fitzsimons: This game should be a walk in the park for the Broncos as they face a very poor Miami team. If this game is close, it may just be the road jitters.
Score Prediction: Western Michigan 76, Miami 56
WMU Athletics: Red-Hot Broncos Look For Win At Miami
WMU Athletics: Official Game Notes
Miami Athletics: Miami Hosts Western Michigan Wednesday
Follow BroncoBlitz on Facebook and Twitter!
Western Michigan NEWS