Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
December 19, 2012
Western Michigan Broncos (7-3) at Duquesne Dukes (6-5)
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Venue: A.J. Palumbo Center
Wednesday, December 19 at 7:00 p.m.
All-time series record: Western Michigan leads 1-0
Radio: Bronco Radio Network
Coverage: Begins at 6:30 p.m.
Announcers: Sean Fagan
Stations: WKZO - 96.5 FM: (Flagship) Kalamazoo, Portage, Mattawan; WMAX - 96.1 FM: Grand Rapids, Holland, Muskegon; WVIC - 94.1 FM: Lansing, Jackson, Battle Creek
Television: NBC Sports Network
Talent: Dave Strader & Dave Kaplan
Jim Ferry's record at Duquesne: 6-5 (1st season)
Steve Hawkins' record at Western Michigan: 166-135 (10th season)
- The Broncos defeated the Dukes in their only previous meeting, an 85-71 win at University Arena last season.
- Brandon Pokley scored what is still his career-high with 16 points in last season's win over the Dukes.
- The Broncos received 20 votes in this week's CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 poll, 16 more than they did last week.
- Darius Paul leads all freshmen in the MAC in scoring (11.6 ppg) and rebounding (6.9 rpg). He recorded his second career double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds at High Point, and has two in his last three games. Paul has scored in double-digits in nine consecutive games.
- The Broncos have already won more games away from University Arena (four) than they did all of last season.
- Darius Paul and Shayne Whittington rank fifth and sixth, respectively, in the MAC West in Player Efficiency Rating, according to ESPN.com's John Hollinger.
- Shayne Whittington is ranked third in the MAC West and 10th in the conference overall on John Hollinger's Player Efficiency Ratings; teammate Darius Paul rates as fourth and twelfth, respectively.
- Connar Tava set career-highs with eight points and eight rebounds in the win at High Point last Sunday.
- The Broncos lead the Mid-American Conference in rebounding margin (+8.3).
- With a win tonight, the Broncos would be the first team in the Mid-American Conference to reach eight total wins.
Brian Persky: Duquesne is coming off of a somewhat demoralizing blowout to NEC opponent Robert Morris on the road. Although the Dukes have been fairly inconsistent throughout the beginning of the 2012-2013 season, the Atlantic 10 has always been a very deep conference. And believe me when I say this WMU coaching staff will not overlook their current 13th place standing.
Duquesne rebounds the ball very well, so if the Broncos want to win this game, Shayne Whittington, Darius Paul, Nate Hutcheson, and others will have to give their absolute best effort of the season on the glass. Specifically, I'll be looking for the Broncos to do everything they can to create turnovers by disrupting freshman point guard Derrick Colter the best that they can.
Duquesne is a team that I initially thought might give the Broncos a lot of trouble. But the deeper I dig, the more I believe this to be a favorable match-up for the good guys. I think WMU pulls off a huge road win in Pittsburgh, and this one ultimately comes down to free throws at the end.
Score Prediction: Western Michigan 69, Duquesne 67
D.J. Duckett: He's currently on vacation right now, so we'll give him a chance to sleep in before we ask for his prediction. Check back later!
Score Prediction: TBD
David James: Duquesne seems to be completely up-and-down this year, but will undoubtedly provide WMU with a valuable test as we get closer to MAC play every day. I expect a tight battle, but home-court proves just a little too much for the young Broncos.
Score Prediction: Duquesne 75, Western Michigan 70
Brandon Fitzsimons: With just a few days to prepare for this game, travel included, WMU could very well be a little sluggish out of the gate. Duquesne is no pushover either.
Score Prediction: Duquesne 66, Western Michigan 57
WMU Athletics: Broncos Close Road Swing at Duquesne
WMU Athletics: Official Game Notes
Duquesne Athletics: Dukes Host Western Michigan in Final Home Game of 2012
Follow BroncoBlitz on Facebook and Twitter!
Western Michigan NEWS