Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
December 16, 2012
Western Michigan Broncos (6-3) at High Point Panthers (4-4)
Location: High Point, North Carolina
Venue: Millis Athletics & Convocation Center
Sunday, December 16 at 3:00 p.m.
WMU leads the all-time series: 1-0
Radio: Bronco Radio Network
Coverage: Begins at 2:30 p.m.
Announcers: Sean Fagan
Stations: WKZO - 96.5 FM: (Flagship) Kalamazoo, Portage, Mattawan; WMAX - 96.1 FM: Grand Rapids, Holland, Muskegon; WVIC - 94.1 FM: Lansing, Jackson, Battle Creek
Scott Cherry's record at High Point: 44-56 (4th season)
Steve Hawkins record at Western Michigan: 165-135 (10th season)
- This will be the second all-time meeting between the two teams, with Western Michigan holding a 1-0 advantage in the series. The Broncos defeated the Panthers 54-53.
- In the last meeting between these two teams, Austin Richie hit a lay-up with five seconds remaining to give the Broncos the win.
- Western Michigan is one of only two teams to rank in the top-five in the MAC in scoring offense, scoring defense, and scoring margin (Ohio is the other).
- Darius Paul has scored in double-digits in eight consecutive games, the first Bronco freshman to do so since Ben Reed scored in double-digits in 13 consecutive games during the 2001-02 season.
- Nate Hutcheson recorded his first career double-double in the Illinois State game, notching 15 points and 10 rebounds.
- Darius Paul and Shayne Whittington rank fifth and sixth, respectively, in the MAC West in Player Efficiency Rating, according to ESPN.com's John Hollinger.
- The Broncos lead the Mid-American Conference in rebounding margin at +6.2
Brian Persky: I was very surprised to see the size of High Point's basketball venue. This might seem like an odd thing to point out, but I actually think this type of environment heavily favors the Broncos. It seems to be a lot like what the Broncos faced in Europe this past August.
As far as the game goes and individual matchups, I fully expect WMU's depth to once again play a major factor. Last November's matchup at University Arena, both teams were able to somewhat feel each other out. I don't think Western Michigan played particularly well in that game. But I think the Broncos control this one at High Point, as they are the overall more talented team.
Score Prediction: Western Michigan 76, High Point 67
D.J. Duckett: I think the Broncos will turn things around here. After a fast start, this could be just what they need to right the ship. Looking at the matchups, I will be looking to see if Shayne Whittington is able to get WMU points in the paint, in a tough opponent against Allan Chaney.
It will be a great win if the Broncos can manage it, they are amidst a rough stretch away from home, and wins will be hard to come by. I see Austin Richie getting his game together and having a big role this week. The broncos will steal a win on the road in this one.
Score Prediction: Western Michigan 68, High Point 64
David James: High Point gave the Broncos all they could handle in Kalamazoo earlier this year, but with the tow game skid I think WMU comes out focused enough to get it done today. The Broncos win in another down to the wire battle.
Score Prediction: Western Michigan 66, High Point 62
Brandon Fitzsimons: After watching this game go down to the wire in Kalamazoo, it's easy to think that High Point should take this one at home. However, I think the past two games, against very good opponents, helped the Broncos grow and make them more hungry for their first victory in 2 weeks. WMU fights through the zone and pulls out the W.
Score Prediction: Western Michigan 64, High Point 56
WMU Athletics: Broncos Continue Road Swing at High Point
Everything you need for High Point (game one)
Austin Richie's reverse layup clinches win against High Point
WMU Athletics: Official Game Notes
Richie's Lay-Up Seals Broncos' Win Over Panthers
MLive/Kalamazoo Gazette Game Preview
High Point hosts Western Michigan on Sunday
Follow BroncoBlitz on Facebook and Twitter!
Western Michigan NEWS